Acclimatizing New Fish Purchases
INTRODUCING YOUR NEW FISH
All fish are sold on the provision that they will be acclimatized, responsibly cared for in good quality water, and kept only with compatible tank mates. Always ensure you have used a suitable dechlorinating tap safe product in your aquarium water.
1. Turn your aquarium lights off.
2. Feed any other fish in your tank to minimise their interest in the new fish.
3. Float the closed bag in the water.
4. After 10 minutes, open the bag and fold down the sides so that it remains afloat.
5. Introduce a small amount of current tank water into the bag. Repeat twice more every five minutes.
6. 15 minutes after you have poured the last portion of water in, discard three quarters of the water in the bag.
7. Slowly tip the bag upside down to release the fish into the tank.
8. Leave the lights off for at least 2 hours.
9. Feed your fish a small amount once settled.
Step 7 note - if you are concerned about mixing water, carefully drain the water away passing the fish through a net and introduce the netted fish.
If your fish show signs of distress (e.g. paleness, lethargy) due to acclimatizing, please monitor them closely for 24 hours after step 9.